A rug in a bedroom is the ultimate luxury for your feet and a great grounding tool visually, but where do you begin once you’ve decided that you need a rug to finish your bedroom styling?
Before you decide on the look that you are going for using our visual guide, the other major considerations are:
- Room size – Unless you want a wall to wall carpet look, leave some “margins” around the edges of the room so that the rug can help anchor the space.
- Bed size – It’s important to have enough space on either side of the bed to step out onto the rug, with a reasonable margin at the end of the bed.
- Pattern – Traditionally rugs are positioned beneath the bed allowing you to step out onto them, so if there is a central pattern on the rug it may be lost under the bed.
- Material – Whether you like the non-shed nature of man made fibres or prefer the luxury of wool, consider the pros and cons of your favourite fibre.
- Pile Height – A warmer climate may call for silky, cool jute, whilst somewhere cooler may need a thicker more “squishy” feel underfoot. It’s a personal choice “thing” – whatever your toes prefer.
- Statement or Subdued – Is the rug intended to be the hero of the space, or is it there to anchor the bed and compliment the decor?
Take a look at our styling guide below for some inspiration on rug placement.