This month one of our co-owners, Kate, has her birthday so we’ve decided that now is as good a time as any to share her thoughts, tips and tricks.
Kate has experience in home renovation, interior styling, styling for sale and online styling. She is a mother of two gorgeous teenage girls and two crazy doggos, wife to her fabulous and supportive husband (let’s just call him Mr Six lol) and of course co-founder of Six Fourteen! Kate loves yoga, meditation, indoor plants (which she can now keep alive!), bushwalking and a good cup of tea. A serial re-decorator of her current home, Kate loves to change things up and swap things around in all spaces in her home re-using and re-purposing various favourite pieces.
Here’s what Kate had to say:
- My style is: Somewhere between British Colonial, Boho and modern Australian aesthetic…..I’m a bit of a bower bird.
- I find inspiration: On instagram, print media and settling into my own style as I “age”.
- I use colour to: Accentuate a space and to highlight and inject personality, but I can’t go past a neutral palette to build on.
- Form or Function. Why?: I’m moving into a time in our home with older kids where I can really start to embrace form over function, but I’ve always felt they both have a place in a home. If you love it you’ll find a way to make it work, however it’s important to really consider your household and it’s “limitations”.
- Styling advice I live by: If you don’t love it, don’t buy it. Don’t just buy because it’s on trend. Buy once and buy well.
- Top home styling tips: Consider the relationship between your entire space and furniture and spend some time to work on the feel and style that you want to go for before working layer by layer to create your look.
- Top tips for buying the perfect rug: Bigger is better; measure as many times as it takes to be sure you’re getting the right size and if in doubt mark it out; a rug can either guide or accentuate your other styling so consider how many statement pieces your space can accommodate.
- What is your go to Six Fourteen Rug? I LOVE the Byron Bay range and have one in my home, but I also love the feel of a beautiful braided jute, so I can’t go past the gorgeous Bronte range.